Epiphany

Today, I had a marvelous Epiphany.

I was talking to one of my friends this morning and she made a comment about how I didn't seem my normal happy self. I realized she was right, but I couldn't pin why. I thought about how I've tried to use my time wisely lately. The other foreign teachers have gone back to America so I'm a little lonely, but I figured this was my time to buckle down and study Chinese for the next few weeks until the semester ends. I had kind of a "Let's just get through this" attitude. After I talked to my friend, I decided to go work on my lesson plans for today. I only teach one lesson a week. I just teach it 20 times. I thought the lesson I had made for this week was good, it went well Monday, but pretty poorly yesterday (Tuesday) So I decided to take some time to think of how I could improve it and tried to brainstorm some ideas for new lessons. Then I went and taught three classes, and they went phenomenally. Much better than yesterday. Not only did the lessons go well, but I had a lot of fun with my students and they learned English. When I walked out of my last class I realized that my happiness is tied to how much I give of myself to other people. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's still true. I walked out of that class and it dawned on me that the reason I was happy today was cause I had given part of myself to my students. I also realized that if I don't give myself to my students, and try to be as a good a teacher as i can be. I won't be happy while I'm in China.

Kind of a strange realization. It made me happy to understand this, but it made me sad to think of some of the teachers I had who didn't give themselves to their students more and how unhappy some of them probably were.
When I say give myself, I guess what I mean is that I have to care about my students. If I don't care and I'm just trying to make them learn, it's not really fun, but if I do care, then I try to make good lessons for them, and I think they can kind of feel it, maybe not consciously, but my attitude makes such a big difference in how they behave, it's kind of amazing sometimes.

Anyways, I may be cold, but I'm not lonely. I may have no other foreign teachers or Americans close by, but I have a lot of Rockin' Chinese students, so I'm not really worried about the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Liz said...

You rock, Sam! What you say rings true, I think I feel that way with my piano students. It's hard to put my finger on why I find it so rewarding at times, I think it's because of that happy feeling that comes, just as you describe.

Love your blog, Cuzzin.

Colin said...

thanks for the reminder, sam. we're taught the only way to find life is to lose it. :)

Mrs. Law said...

Loved this post Sam. Now you know why it was so hard for me to leave my students and why I still miss them.
This was also something I realized.. the students are the most important thing. It's amazing how teaching them can make you so happy. China was one of the happiest times in my life.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Captain ... good lesson to learn. Serve well :)