Why China reminds me of my mother

Every year of my child hood our family took a road trip to Utah. Maybe summer or winter, or both, but the 10 hour drive between Northern Utah and Southern California has and will always be a part of my life. My mother always gave us comics or books to read on the drive up. None of us ever got car sick, cause we were raised reading in cars. This was beneficial for many many reasons. Here are a few:

1. My mother always wanted us to love reading. Yep, that totally worked. Most people in my family are pretty avid readers. Granted, the last book I read was a comic book, but I still think she succeeded.
2. We all have steel stomachs. None of us get carsick. Way to go mom.
3. Mom was smart enough to know that if we were occupied, she had full control of the radio. So, I was raised listening to a lot of her music without thinking about it too much.

I think my Mother's favorite music was the Carpenters. As in Karen and co. The reason I say that is because she played Carpenter music (which will be called 'Cusic' from here on) ALL THE TIME. Ok, that's an overstatement, but she listened to it quite a bit. Music is in my Mom's blood. My sister used to always say she knew when Mom was coming up the stairs because my sister could hear a song on my mother's breath. I think something about Cusic really resonated with my mom. They were good songs. They had positive lyrics, they were in her range, and they were catchy, even for me. I never sang along though. Not because I couldn't, but because I enjoyed more listening to my mom express herself. I don't think she thought about it a lot, it was just part of who she was
(and is).

Now many of you are thinking, 'great story Sam, but what does this have to do with China?'
If you are thinking that, good job, that's a splendid question.
Here's the answer.

I was sitting next to a young Chinese business man at a dinner place on the street tonight. (And I mean literally on the street, that's where they set up shop in the evenings, on the side of the street) He was probably about 30 give or take a few years. I was eating my meal peacefully and he was humming to himself. After a bar of music I caught myself humming along with him. I then thought, 'how the heck do I know the song this Chinese guy is humming.
That's impossible. I don't know that much Chinese music.' And then it dawned on me. It's because he was humming Cusic.

China is a really interesting place, very few American artists are big here. A lot of people know a few of the big current names in America, but for the most part people don't know a whole lot about american music. However, some how Cusic made it through the America-->China filter, and came through big. Many people may not know the Carpenters by name, but all Chinese people know the music. I find my self smiling every once in a while when a motorcycle or moped drives by me and I can hear them listening to the Carpenters.

To make a long story short, one of the things I love about China is that it reminds me of my mother.


Disclaimer
The author of this article in no way claims his writings to be the final authority on the famous Sandi Griffiths and her views and tastes in music. (or Cusic). In other words, Mom, feel free to let me know if I'm off on any of this.

2 comments:

Emili said...

And she still sings to herself when its quiet. It reminds me of the good ol days at home with my favorite siblings.

Umm, they have radios on mopeds?

Morgan Rhys Gibbons said...

i think your iron stomach, Sam, may have resulted from years and years of looking in the mirror. There's just a tolerance built up for that sort of thing.