Vancouver

Short update for those of you who were hoping to hear from me so soon. (That's ok if you number in the negatives)
I'm feeling better, but still praying I won't get quarantined for a week (which is what they do if you arrive in China and they think you have the swine flu, and no, I don't have the swine flu). And for the fact that I didn't sleep much last night, I'm actually doing really well. Still safe. Still fairly coherent.

3 things before I jet
1. China isn't allowing facebook or blogger right now, but I can update my blog through emails, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Skype DOES work. I do expect to hear from people, and my skype name is "GadiandiSun" in case anyone missed it.

2. I had a revelation at 5:30 this morning. I was trying to fall asleep while a small child was intermittently yelling. This child was also sitting RIGHT next to us. I don't know how kids get that loud, but it was pretty intense for us when we hadn't slept for a good 24 hours. (it was really tough to sleep over night in airport, didn't work out too well). Anyways the child screamed once more right into the ear of a friend of mine (who was innocently sleeping up to that point) and it set the wheels in my head spinning. My friend had talked about how she didn't really like small children, but having several loveable nieces and nephews my mind started to discover a way to reconcile her feelings for kids. My thought process kind of went like htis.
A. I wished Children had a volume control nob......
B. If I could invent one of those, I would be rich!......
C. Dang it!
D. Some one did invent that already, it's called a pacifier
E. Wait a minute..... ( and this was the moment of truth for me) maybe it's not called a pacifier because it pacifies children, maybe it's called that because it pacifies adults....

3. I love how easy it is to make friends when the time is right. I seriously met four awesome people last night whilc trying to sleep in San Francisco Airport. One was this Indian family from Canada, who ended up giving us free breakfast vouchers, and the last was a guy named Peter who played cards with us for an hour. And literally all i did was say Hi how ya doin and I ended up spending at least 2 hours with each.

You guys are great. I'd love to hear from anyone when they get a chance. Even if I left yesterday - if this blog is only one way for the whole time I'm gone I'll be really disappointed. (Guilty prod for the future)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So Sam, China huh?
Wow, I can't believe it. It's gonna be very different to Utah. So where are you going to live there for one year? With a good attitude, you will enjoy your staying there, otherwise it would be bad as hell. lol
When you have time, go to travel a lot in China. There are a lot of good places to visit. FYI, Aaron Johnson is in Nanjing, Jiangsu province which is a couple of hours away from Shanghai. Jess Howard and his family just moved to Beijing a couple of months ago. so if you need their information, I can get it for u from facebook. It sucks they blocked the facebook which really turns me off. haha.
Anyway, stay away from street vendors and always bargain when you shop outside of the mall. Dont' get ripped off.
Well, email me if you have any questions. frankiesun520@gmail.com
I guess we can gmail chat at least. haha.
Wish all is well,

Frank Sun

Unknown said...

hi sam,

that's it hey? the big came quickly! it will take a while to be confortable but it will happen...i'll give you my email address and the nightingale's address, that's the members who you knew who are also living in china (but i dont know where)

Write about the food and how different it is.and the difference in culture.

I dont know how you can live in a country where they take your basic freedom (facebook!!)

is there a reason?

Unknown said...

oopps

s-azri@myoffice.net.au

carolynnightingale@gmail.com